Maybe I just like your stank

Married life is so different than dating life. I've said it a million times.

I try to be authentic as much as I can. I try to be me with everyone.

But no one really knows the real me like T does. No one has seen me behaving at my total worst and still wanted to wake up next to me the next day. And, being honest, I think that I have shone my best light with her, too. She's seen it all.

She's seen the total baby when it comes to minor inconveniences. Once, when we had a terrible snow storm in our city over a decade ago, we lost power for 11 days. I did not go gently into that good night. I acted like a complete diva. I complained nearly non stop. I was extremely jealous of the people in our neighborhood who lived two blocks away because their power was restored in 5 days. Every single night, as we drove home from work, I would comment on the patchwork of power in our city. Why did that area have power and we didn't? Then, we would be two blocks away and there would be those lights shining in windows. I would seethe and stretch my neck to see if our power was on yet. It never was. I would be shaking with rage.

This wasn't fair! WHY did they get power and we didn't? Why hadn't we bought that power generator when we said we would...the LAST time we lost power? Well, we hadn't because once the power had been restored after a storm, we were so excited and hey...you never believe it is going to be you next.

We went to restaurants that had power every night for dinner and I complained during every meal. Both of our workplaces had power and I didn't like that. I DID enjoy being warm for eight hours a day, although I hated that moment at the end of the day when I would call home to see if the answering machine was on, meaning that the power was restored. It never was.

I was a total bitch for 11 days straight.

T's only comment: You would be terrible in a zombie apocalypse. 

She's right. I would be. Well, at first. Then, because I am a Gemini, I would adjust and end up being useful because I am a dead eye shot with a gun or an arrow. I know this because I once went to a shooting gallery with a friend because she had just divorced and wanted to learn how to defend herself with a gun. I do not own a gun, nor am I a gun fan. But, I went to the gallery with her out of curiosity. The retired cop who taught our class was amazed at my accuracy in gun skill. He told me that I could be a sharp shooter, easily. I reveled in my talent. But, since I do not own a gun nor advocate owning one? I have a latent talent.

So, once I get over pouting that zombies are taking over the world, I would be an asset to any group. Just hand me a gun and I will pick those suckers off one by one with ease.

T has seen me in every facet. Like a prism, she knows every single ray of me.

And she's still here. She says that, basically, she believes that I am her soul mate. That I am meant for her and she is meant for me. I get the meant for me part. I have never been loved by anyone as much as T loves me. I have had this incredible luxury for a great long time. I am so comfortable in her presence that I am always exactly.....me.

I know my luck. I have so many friends who talk about having to appease their spouses. About how there are taboo subjects in their marriages.

I don't get that. I never appease T. I can't think of anything that we can't talk about.

We do not have a perfect marriage. We are not good at vacationing together. She likes to go on outdoorsy hikes and I think she would regard bungee jumping as terrific fun. I like going to cities, seeing museums and going to plays. We just don't vacation much together....or if we do, we take turns. I go to rock climbing events with her and wait for her and kill time by perusing the gift shop or sitting in a next door coffee shop with my book. She goes to plays with me and falls asleep before intermission. It is our tacit agreement that I do not ask her to rehash the play with me when it is over.

A few nights ago, I was sweaty from putting the garden to bed. Or 1/3 of it. I don't have the stamina I once had, so I do it in sections. We were cuddling on the sofa and I could smell my own body odor.

"Maybe you should sit in the easy chair," I told her. "I seem to be carrying an odor."

T ignored me and cuddled closer under the blanket.

"No worries," she said. "I kind of like your stank. It's your stank. I'm fine with it."

That, I thought, is true married life. You don't mind their stank so much.

Plus, there is always that shower.

Comments

Popular Posts