That night when I spoke in tongues

"Wake up, love. C'mon. Wake up. Time to come back."

I hear her voice and feel her arms encircling me. I am awake now. I half sit up and then fall back into T's arms.

"Did I have a nightmare? Was I yelling?" I ask. It's been a stressful few weeks and I have had a few nightmares.

T doesn't answer right away and I sit up on one elbow.

"What?" I say.

"I don't think you were having a nightmare. Um...well....I recorded you. You were talking," she says.

That gets my attention. "Let me hear it!" I say. I am trying to remember what I was dreaming. When I woke up, my heart wasn't pounding, like it had been on all those nightmare nights. I didn't feel scared or upset. Just...awake.

T gets up, feels for her glasses. Starts going through her phone. "Shit. I can't find it," she finally says. "I know I recorded it. You were really talking."

"What did I say?"

She gives up looking and puts down her phone, takes her glasses off and turns to me. Serious.

"I don't know," she says. "You weren't speaking English."

Now she really has my attention. I laugh nervously.

"That's ridiculous," I say. "I don't know any languages other than English and enough French to get by in a pinch."

"I know," she says. "It was so....weird. And....shit, shit, shit. I recorded it. I KNOW I did. I just can't find it now."

I'm annoyed and half alarmed. "So, you woke up and I was talking OUT LOUD in a foreign language and you recorded me?"

"Yes," she says, slowly.

We lay back in silence for a moment. Finally, I ask her to try to narrow it down. Was it French? Spanish?

She sighs. "I don't know. I was SLEEPING, honey. It kind of freaked me, you know? I mean, there you were speaking in a foreign language and after I got over my shock, I reached for my phone and pushed record."

"Did I speak it like....fluently?" 

She lets out a gush of air. "Yes. You were having a...a...I know it sounds strange. You were like having a conversation with someone."

"Just a friendly conversation?"

"I wouldn't say friendly. You sounded worried. Kind of concerned. And FUCK, now I can't find it!"

We talk some more but it is going nowhere. T finally says that if she HAD to pick a language that I was speaking, she'd say Latin.

"LATIN?"

"Yeah, but I am SO not sure here," she says.

Nothing to do about it. She woke up and heard me talking in my sleep in another language. I sounded worried and/or concerned. She tried to tape me and then decided to wake me up.

"Why did you wake me up?" I asked.

"I don't know. I guess I was just a little freaked out," is all she will say.

I guess I get that.

We decide to go back to sleep. It is only a few minutes after midnight. I make her promise me that if this happens again, she will VERY CALMLY AND CAREFULLY record me for several minutes.

The next day, I feel her kiss my cheek as she leaves for work.

"Goodbye, little martian," she says. I laugh and almost immediately fall back asleep. 

Around ten o'clock, I am sitting at the computer reading my email and the phone rings. It's T.

"I found the recording," she says before I can say hello. "I'm going to text it to you. Listen and call me right back."

I see an audio on my phone and I gingerly hit the play button.

Some rustling and then my voice. And there it is. I am speaking but I have no idea what I am saying. I do sound worried. Very concerned. And I am definitely speaking in a foreign language. It lasts for maybe 30 seconds and then I hear T's voice.

"Wake up, love. C'mon. Wake up. Time to come back..."

And the recording stops.

I am officially freaked.

I call T. We spend all of her lunch time trying to figure this out. I tell her that it doesn't sound like Latin to me. Maybe French? But not really French. Hell, we do not know. It's nothing we can pin down. We both agree that while I don't sound scared, I do sound worried. Concerned. That is the tone. And there are pauses when I speak, as if I am listening to someone else speak.

It is just weird. We agree. Odd. Not really scary. But....so weird. HOW on earth do I know a foreign language and, more importantly, WHAT language is it?

She has to get back to work. I spend the afternoon trying to decipher it. Come up with nothing. It fits nowhere. It isn't French. Isn't Latin. Definitely not Spanish.

It is just...something. Later, when T gets home, we decide that it is faerie speak.

We laugh about it. She pinkie swears that if this EVER happens again, she will just record the whole damn thing.

Until then, we'll just wait and see.

We are getting ready for bed that night and she kisses me goodnight.

"You know what I think?" she says.

"Hmm? What?"

"I think you are a time traveler. I always knew I married up," she says. "I always knew you were special."

I kiss her back. We lay in bed. I hear her soft snores start. I lay on my back, staring at the ceiling.
Whatever that was, I'm not scared. Whatever that was, I decide to believe that it is a good thing.

I whisper, "Just help me get through whatever comes next."

That night, I sleep peacefully and do not wake up even once in pain or with a nightmare.

Whatever it is, I think it is something good and I need something good right now. Maybe I am a time traveler. In that case, you know....I would much prefer to be anywhere but here right now. But, I would also like to take T with me.

I picture us, hand in hand, flying off to wherever that place is.

It comforts me. It comforts me.






























 































Comments

Popular Posts