I think You Should Marry Again

"I think that after I die, you should marry again," I told T.

"Why would I want to do that?" she said. "I have considered myself married to you for over three decades. I did my time, dude."

That made me laugh. T has always had the talent for making me laugh every single day.

"Oh, so you see marriage as doing time?"

"No, of course not. But, marriage is a commitment. A lot of people don't understand that going in, so there are a lot of divorces. I can't imagine wanting to be with anyone but you. Seriously."

"The last few years have been pretty awful," I said. I held up the front of my shirt. "No breasts anymore." I held up my right hand. "A finger missing. I am so damaged goods."

T rolled her eyes. "First, I could not care less if you have boobs or not. Hey, they were nice while we had them, your finger, too. But, you are still my sweet ass gal. It was never about the looks, dear. Let's be honest. Neither one of us are beauty queens. It has always just been the fact that we just fit. From the first day we met, something was just there. Call it past lives, call it kismet, or pheromones, whatever. We just knew that we were a packaged set. I'm never going to find that with anyone else and I don't want to. It belongs to us. Just us."

"I married such a sap," I said, reaching for her hand. "I just don't want you to be alone. I want you to find someone who can go on long hikes with you, watch all those stupid Star War/Star Trek movies with you. someone who isn't....sick."

"Okay, first. No bad mouthing Star Trek or Star Wars. They are sacred. And yes, I wish that you enjoyed them more but I'm not a fanatic or anything."

"We have a cookie jar shaped like that funny horse that Luke rides."

"Okay, that would be a tauntaun," she corrected and then we both laughed.

"Here's the thing," she went on. "I don't care if you don't enjoy Star Wars. It SADDENS me that you don't know what a tauntaun is. But, seriously...you are the woman who calls football helmets HATS. I love you, as is."

"Promise me one thing. " I say.

"If you do re-marry, don't marry a Trumper."

"EWWW! I promise. But, as I said, I won't re-marry." 

"What if it's Tina Fey?"

T smiles. "Okay, if it's Tina Fey and she just can't keep her hands off me, I will surrender. But only because I know you'd leave me for Kit Harington in a split second," she says.

We smile and sit back in the car, listening contentedly to some oldies from the 70's on the radio.

She reaches for my hand and squeezes it.

"Just so you know, you aren't going anywhere soon and if you do, I'll just get a cat or something. No one could ever replace you. Just so you know."

Sometimes life is just too sweet. My heart can hardly stand it. 






























Comments

Popular Posts