I Was Thinking About What it Would Be Like To be a Tree

Today, we went out for our daily walk. It had snowed (AGAIN!) last night and so we were decked out in Winter's bulky gear. 

I, as usual, lasted about ten minutes and then wandered back to sit in the car and read until T got back. When I had sat for over a half hour, I squinted and scanned the park, trying to place her. And there she was, sitting on a bench right across the pond from me. 

She was barely moving. I went back to reading. When I looked back ten minutes later, she was sliding off the bench and headed back to me. A few moments later, she was back in the car. 

I commented that she had sat on that bench for a long, long time. Was she finally taking my advice and using that time to reflect on her life, go inward? This is what I do whenever I bench sit and I highly recommend it. But, T has never been much of a bench sitter. 

T sighed. "Well, yeah. I suppose. Sorta," she replied. "I was thinking about how trees are good role models. I was thinking what it would be like to be a tree."

I was curious. "So, go on..." I encouraged her. 

"Trees just do the best with what they have. And they are so giving," she said. "They give shelter without asking if you deserve it. They bask in the sunshine. They grow in the heat. They stand up to all kinds of extremes....snow storms, tornadoes, invasive bugs. But, they also find time to dance with the wind. They are beautiful in the Spring, but there is something starkly gorgeous about a tree naked of all its leaves, too. I just think trees are so great. If people were more like trees, our world would thrive." 

I stared at her. Wow. Between the two of us, I would have said that I was more inclined to introspection and reflection. Yet, she has obviously surpassed me. I can honestly say that I have NEVER sat on that bench and considered what it was like to be a tree. 

I married a mystic and I kind of like it......























 

Comments

Popular Posts