Saved by James

About a week ago, I woke up so ill that I did not think I could get out of bed. I was just beginning my second week of my second round of chemo. Everything hurt. Everything. 



I made myself get up. As I stood, I felt something slide to the floor. It was my little iPod Nano. I had woken up in the middle of the night in pain and had listened for a while, letting the music lull me into sleep again. The last thing I had listened to was a James Taylor album. 



I've loved James Taylor since college. Seen him once in concert. T and I recently looked up his concert schedule but didn't think we could go. It was on a Sunday night, in a city about an hour away from ours, and she had to work the next day. Plus, my health had become precarious. Best not to try to plan anything. I had gone to his site, though, and written a little note saying that going to his concert had been one of the highlights of my life. 



That sick day, I got up, got dressed and sat myself down in my office. I would check my emails, etc. Hadn't done that in over a month. After that, I would get myself a cup of coffee and go back to bed if I still felt so badly. 



There...in the middle of my emails, was a note saying that James Taylor has replied to your comment. I sort of snorted. Yeah. Right. But, I clicked on it anyway. 



And it was true. He had replied. He said that he was "grateful." It was that simple. 



I got up and decided to try to stay up. This would be a good day. I could feel it. Any day that James Taylor is in has to be a good day, I thought. 



And it was. 

Comments

Popular Posts