Thank you, Lee DeWyze

I never planned on being a "fan." I was just sitting on my sofa, idly channel surfing when I landed on this young guy singing a Hinder song. I couldn't change the channel. Something about that face. That tone. 

I am not much of a music expert. I like what I like and it mostly has to do with lyrics and the way the music makes me feel. 

I listen to Van Halen's Jump and I want to leap around. Everything in me lights up. 

I listen to John Denver's Rocky Mountain High and everything in me goes all soft and dreamy, like the perfect high. 

I listen to Kathleen Edwards' Mercury and I am back to that place where everything hurts and nothing will ever be right again and only she gets it. 

I listen to Brandi Carlisle's Party of One and I understand marriage. That push and pull. 

I never planned to pretty much adore everything that Lee DeWyze writes. I never had the slightest idea on that night when I watched American Idol for the first time only because I wanted to see him sing some more, that he would become part of my daily life. 

As I said, I'm no expert, but I can honestly say that I have yet to hear a DeWyze song that does not move me in some way. I like some better than others, but I don't dislike anything of his. 

He has no idea how many nights his voice soothed me when I didn't think I could stand the bone pain of cancer for one. more. minute. I held on to his voice like a hand reaching out to me when I was drowning. 

I'm no fangirl. I am not a swooner. He is young enough to be my child. I don't have any great desire to meet him or go to one of his concerts. I just like his voice. I like his lyrics. I like how he splices them together. I feel comforted when I hear him sing. And pleased. I feel like turning up the sound just a little. 

I feel understood in some bizarre way. I'm always wary that his next album or song will be that one, the one that breaks the spell. It never is. 

I don't know if he will ever be popular. Right now, if I mention his name, most have no idea who he is....or if they do, they remember something vaguely to do with American Idol, which I admit that I have not watched since his win. And I kind of like it that way. I like it that his songs feel like I'm eavesdropping on my neighbor sitting on his porch strumming on a guitar on a night when all I want to do is drink my Tullamore Dew and look up at the sky. 

And listen. 

So, thank you. Thank you, Lee. Cancer is easier when you're here with me, crooning.

Comments

  1. I agree with every word. I don't have cancer, but his voice is beyond amazing. I gave seen him in concert and he is even better in person, if you can believe that. I wish you all the best with kicking cancers ass. I too am old enough to be his mother. I wish he would fill stadiums with his music. Everyone should know how much he is offering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well
    written! Does your website have a contact page? I'm having trouble locating it but, I'd like to send you an email.
    I've got some recommendations for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it
    develop over time. I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the
    internet visitors, its really really fastidious paragraph on building up new web
    site. http://Dell.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I certainly enjoyed reading it,
    you may be a great author.I will be sure to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back down the road.
    I want to encourage you to continue your great posts,
    have a nice holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent article. I'm going through many of these issues as well..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there I am so excited I found your web site, I really found you by error, while I was looking on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here now and would just like to say cheers for a remarkable post and a all round entertaining blog (I also love the theme/design), I
    don’t have time to go through it all at the minute but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS
    feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep
    up the superb jo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep on writing, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very shortly this site will be famous among all blogging people, due to it's good posts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good day! I could have sworn I've been to this blog before but after looking at many
    of the articles I realized it's new to me.
    Anyhow, I'm definitely delighted I came across it and I'll be bookmarking it and checking back frequently!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! I've been reading your weblog for
    a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and
    give you a shout out from Austin Tx! Just wanted to tell
    you keep up the great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I know this is kinda off topic nevertheless I'd
    figured I'd ask. Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe guest writing a blog post or
    vice-versa? My blog addresses a lot of the same
    subjects as yours and I feel we could greatly benefit from each
    other. If you might be interested feel free to shoot me an e-mail.
    I look forward to hearing from you! Superb blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. With havin so much content do you ever run into any problems of plagorism
    or copyright violation? My website has a lot of exclusive content
    I've either authored myself or outsourced but
    it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my agreement.
    Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being stolen? I'd certainly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This blog was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I have found something that helped
    me. Appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This design is wicked! You certainly know how to keep a reader entertained.
    Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved
    to start my own blog (well, almost...HaHa!) Excellent job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how
    you presented it. Too cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello to all, how is everything, I think every one is getting more from this
    web site, and your views are nice for new viewers.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please let me know if you're looking for a author for your blog.
    You have some really good posts and I feel I would be a good asset.
    If you ever want to take some of the load off, I'd really like to write some
    articles for your blog in exchange for a link back to
    mine. Please blast me an e-mail if interested. Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts