Pretty kitty

I don't think she'd appreciate being called a pretty kitty in that sing songy voice that humans use around animals and babies. 

No. Mabel is a broad. If she were human, she'd be like Keira Knightley or Anne Hathaway, She'd be tall and slight but walk with purpose and confidence. She'd own every room she walked into and be the kind of friend who snickered with you over idiots. But...she'd also be the first to tell you if you were acting like an idiot, too. And she wouldn't waste much time on those who had cobs up their asses. Beneath her dignity and time. 

This morning, I heard the garage door open and the back door slam and knew that T was going for her morning walk and to pick up coffee and a newspaper. I snuggled deeper into the covers and fell back asleep. A while later, I heard T talking softly to....who? And they seemed to be coming towards the bedroom. I sighed. Oh, for Pete Sakes, this was just like her. She probably met a neighbor or family member on her walk and brought them home with her to say hello to me. T would not think it odd to bring them into our bedroom and have them greet me in my pajamas and my bedhead with my swollen morning eyes. I decided to play 'possum and kept my eyes shut. 

Through the slit in my eye, I saw T come to the door, holding....Mabel. Mabel was struggling to get down because she saw a bed, a human and blankets. She was up for some morning hellos. 

So, I was up early this morning. After doing her usual patrol of the house, Mabel went outside with T to pick weeds. Except Mabel does not pick weeds. No. That is for her underlings. 

Mabel chases rabbits. We live in a woodsy neighborhood, close to a creek. We get all kinds of animals in our yard. Plus, our next door neighbor leaves food out for them, so raccoons, rabbits, and varmints of all kinds hang out. 

Mabel smelled a rabbit. She tracked it to under a bush and sat patiently waiting, her tail twitching. The smart rabbit stayed put and after a while, Mabel got bored and decided to see what other smells she could find. 

Mabel is that smart. She knows when something is fruitless and she lets go. No regrets. No peering over her shoulder. 

Mabel is discerning. If she likes you, she'll let you know. If she doesn't, she'll simply ignore you. No drama. She keeps her life simple and neat. 

I am planning my herb garden and debating about putting some catnip in for Mabel. Actually, it would be good for us, too. I don't plant an herb if we won't use it and catnip tea is good for arthritis and pain. I think I might plant some and see if she takes to it. A little thank you for all the happy she has brought to our home. 

Basically, I have always wanted to be a Mabel and, instead, have always been a Penelope. Names have certain connotations to them, in my mind. 

Mabels are practical and private. 
Abigails talk too much. 
Francies make good friends.
Fionas are the life of a party.
Elizabeths are regal looking but love filthy jokes.
Violets are shy.
Hopes are smart and get the best grades.
Bonnies are high spirited. 

Penelopes wear their hearts on their sleeves. 

I have always aspired to be mysterious and reticent. The kind of person who plays poker well. 

Instead, if I think you are an ass, my face says God, could you GET any more stupid? If I see someone acting like a dick, I want to get up in their face and tell them that if they want to act like a dick, go back to the sewer you came from. I don't hide my feelings well. 

So, now I don't know how much time I have left. Some days, like last week, I figure I'll be lucky to see another Husker game. Other days, I feel better. But, mostly...I want to try to be the person that I have always wanted to be.

I want to be a Mabel. 

I'm working on it.





















 












































Comments

Popular Posts