Thanksgiving Blessings, November 26, 2020





   
 Laura's battle with metastatic breast cancer ended on June 15, 2020. You knew her as "Maria," and the author of Just Eat Your Cupcake, Too. She absolutely loved writing, and yes, she liked using a form of her middle name when writing. 
She and I knew the journey we were on. We found our "golden years" to come too soon and be too short. We tried to live every day fully. It was a difficult yet sacred journey. She passed somewhat unexpectedly, if that makes sense.
Those of you who reached out after her passing, thank you. Those of you who wished for more, I'm going to see what I can do. Laura left behind all sorts of writing. Poems, stories, journals . . . plenty of material for me to merely input and click "Publish." It helps me feel close to her, even now. I like her writing.

If you are up to jumping back, I'll be posting material regularly as best I can. I welcome your comments. Thank you for taking this ride with me. It seems like Thanksgiving is a perfect time to start. Go get your second piece of pie, and let's see what's in the archives!


Peace to all,


T

TOWL PARK JOURNAL, DAY 31, NOVEMBER 22, 2016

THANKSGIVING BLESSINGS

A rainy, dreary day, but as my Dad used to say, "good for the grass." It is amazingly still green. I drive to Towl Park and ponder setting out my chair, as it seems to have stopped raining. Before I can think too much, the rain begins to pour down in a torrent, and the decision is made for me. So, I sit in the car.

One unlucky man was out walking his golden retriever as I pulled up. He was down to the bridge when it began to pour, so yes, bad timing.

I stopped in the store today and saw that everyone's cart was full of Thanksgiving products. Cans of cranberries and sweet potatoes. Some fresh yams, jars of marshmallow fluff, and of course, turkey everywhere.

I'm trying to find things to feel grateful for this year and have found a few things. I am grateful for my wife, for a nice home, and the fact that I will never go hungry. If I want something and it is within reason, we buy it. It doesn't get much better than that. I may be sad and mad at the electoral college in my country, but I am never afraid to walk outside. I know so many fine people. People who care about others first, and themselves second. People who refuse to just sit down and pout but immediately start planning their next move. If I get bored, I have good books, movies, and documentaries at my finger tips. I have the time to spend an hour at Towl Park most days and write. I spend many an entire afternoon at the library. I know how lucky I am.

This Thanksgiving, I plan to give thanks for what I have and put my trust in over half of my country. I'm not walking alone out here, and I have been truly amazed at those who have come forward to let me know we stand shoulder-to-shoulder and vow to always do what is right.

Someone close to me told me that I only had to listen to Leonard Cohen to know that "There is a crack in everything; that's how the light gets in." 

This comforts me. I'm learning to see past the dark and find those cracks of light. Nothing is fully lost here. It's just temporarily misplaced.

I feel hopeful on this Thanksgiving. I feel the luck in me to have the good life that is mine.

And thank you so much to the many people who are teaching me to stop pouting and to start fighting back.

Looking for those cracks. 


Comments

Popular Posts