Family dilemma

Last night, as I took my evening walk, I received a text from my sister. She and I are the lone anti-Trumpers in a family chock full of DIE HARD TRUMPERS. Yes. IN CAPS. With the exception of my sister C and I, my family would die for Trump. Would lap up that kool aid in a split second. Gulp it right on down.

My sister had posted a tweet on 9-11 remarking about the extreme inappropriateness of Trump's first tweet of the day. Our niece responded by saying "....and what was yours?" It was a brisk little slap.

I was confused at first. What was so bad about pointing out that OUR PRESIDENT was behaving badly? Should she have tweeted about a yummy slice of cake that she had ingested for dinner instead?

The hard thing? This was not the first time that my sister had been slammed for a tweet. In public. By a family member. And none of us said a word.

This time would be different. I texted with my sister and decided that it was time for action. I tweeted a response back. I stated that I was proud of my sister, her AUNT, and that it saddened me that she felt the need to respond to her in that manner.

All hell broke loose.

By the next morning, I received a counter response that my niece was merely heartbroken at all the negativity in the world and that she found it ironic that I would chide her since I was the one who always encouraged her to speak her mind. Her sister, in turn, came slip sliding in swiftly to "like" her tweet and comment on her own twitter that people who attacked other people for their differing beliefs by "hurling malice and insults" (um...excuse me...WHAT?) were not brave, but cruel. I confess to snorting and laughing just a little bit. She seemed to have no idea that her own sister had instigated this whole argument by smugly insulting her aunt. Or if she did, was deftly choosing to ignore it.

I could see a long circular argument was about to ensue. My niece was never going to admit that chiding a family member in public was unacceptable. And my own chiding of her, in public, was also unacceptable. I had done precisely what I had scolded her for doing. But, I had done this for a reason. I wanted her to feel what it was like to be scolded by a family member on social media. I would wait for several hours and then delete the words. She could call me a coward, feel as if she won, whatever, but she would perhaps learn a lesson.

I haven't heard from her mother, my sister yet. I'm sure it will be bone chilling.

But, this whole family drama has left me with a lot to think about. People say that they don't like all the negativity in the world but there is a huge difference between spreading negativity and utilizing one's right to protest perceived injustice. What would have happened during our country's revolution against England if we had all just sat silently on our farms, quietly fuming about the acts of our egregious king? What would have happened if we had thought, "Oh, dear me no. I can't revolt! That would be so negative! I won't say a word about his behavior!" And what would have happened during the time of the confederacy if those who knew that slave owning was wrong just sat quietly in their homes and said, "Oh, dear me! It is heinous to hold slaves but I don't want to stir the pot by being negative. Maybe I should just talk about my yummy recipe for buttermilk biscuits." ??????

I'll tell you. Nothing. Nothing would have happened. The world changes because people push it. GOOD or BAD. Depends on the movers.

So, a little family drama is to be had. So be it.

In the meantime, here is my recipe for bourbon brownies?

I don't think so.

Comments

Popular Posts