Helping hand

It surprised me but didn't stun. I am long past being stunned by almost anything. 

Last night, I went to bed early, aching fiercely. I could just barely move my right shoulder. My legs ached so badly. I could feel a pulse in them. Even the bottoms of my feet hurt. Worse, I knew that I had a 7:15 appointment the next day, so would have to get up early. I sank gratefully into the warm sheets and leaned my face upwards for T's good night kiss. After she left the room, I whispered, "Please. Just take me away." 

I slept until nearly midnight, woke up to a dark house. Had to pee. I carefully slid out of bed, careful not to jostle my shoulder, limping on my aching legs. I sank down on the freezing cold toilet seat and shuddered. So cold. 

Afterwards, I limped back to the bed and tried to slip in. My shoulder was still not cooperating. I tried to lift the covers over myself with little success. I bit my lip in frustration. Decided to just do it. It would hurt like hell, but I would be warm. 

But before I could do this, I felt a hand gently take the covers and slip them up and over me, tucking them sweetly around me. It felt so warm, so tender. I felt my whole body relax. I shut my eyes. I didn't care who or what spirit was doing this; I am way past that part. I was simply grateful for their assistance. I whispered a heartfelt thank you and felt myself sliding back to sleep. 

But, the sweetness didn't stop there. I felt my right shoulder, the terribly sore one, being softly patted. Like one would pat a baby's bottom. Tears filled my eyes. 

I truly needed this more than I could say. 

And then I fell into a peaceful sleep and didn't wake up until the alarm went off the next morning. The pain was still there, throbbing...but the memory stayed. 

I have been running it through my head all morning. 

To whomever heard my pain and came to help last night? Thank you. You helped so much. 

I am grateful. 

Comments

Popular Posts